Thursday, April 27, 2017

Published April 27, 2017 by Admin with 0 comment

Pellets Size Ideas in Winter Fishing

Visit any commercial in winter and you’ll see micro pellets on nearly every side tray. It’s almost the default tactic for catching carp at this time of year. But is it really the best way ? Over the last 18 months I’ve started to play around with pellets of different sizes and was surprised just how many times I caught bigger fish on bigger baits.

winter fishing

Micros certainly have their place and I’ll always feed them on at least one swim. However, I’ve found that the size of fish you tempt on them is smaller than if you fish a bigger pellet, even though they put you in a catch-22 situation

Yes, the fish are bigger but you wait longer for bites. To overcome this I feed three different sized pellets on three different swims, so there’s the potential to catch fish of every size in your peg. It’s a matter of timing.

Perhaps as much as 75% of your net will still be caught over micros, but the remaining 25% will be a much bigger stamp, and these can really make the difference in winter between framing and finishing just short.

Time Your Feeding


The great thing about this method is that you can sacrifice a little time on your banker line – the micro pellet swim – because you know the rewards will be far greater on the other lines, but it remains a matter of timing.

The first half the match is what I consider to be the preparation time when I’ll get my head down and catch what I can over micros. I will also prime two other swims. One with 4mm pellets, usually just down the bank from my micro pellet swim, and another with hard 6mm pellets, usually at the bottom of the far shelf in deeper water where the bigger fish tend to patrol.

I’ve found that bigger fish rarely feed early in the match and it’s quite often only during the last hour that they really show.

Pellets Size Ideas in Winter Fishing

For the hour and a half after the midway point of the match I’ll try my 4mm pellet swim every 15 minutes, hoping to pick up a couple of better fish every time I drop on it. It’s important not to sit on this swim and exhaust it. You need to be strict because the bigger fish can soon spook easily. As soon as I catch a couple of fish I go straight back on to my banker line and continue to put smaller fish in the net.

The final hour is make or break time. This is when the 6mm swim comes into play. Having fed this for most of the match the fish should’ve really gained confidence – if you’re going to catch from here you will know within 5-10 minutes.

It’s very rare for this swim not to produce anything and the fish it does produce are usually very good. If it delivers, you’re flying and in an ideal world you’ll be going into the last hour with three swims that are producing fish. Again, it’s a case of taking quick fish off the swims with bigger baits and then topping up with smaller fish.

Pellets Size Ideas in Winter Fishing

Occasionally you can ditch the micro pellets swim in this last hour and just switch between 4mm and 6mm pellets, perhaps catching 50% of your final weight in the last hour. Generally, though, it’s best to use all three swims to continue to put fish in the net.

The element of risk is that the longer you wait for a bite on a bigger bait the more chance there is of another angler sneaking in front. But success favours the brave and it’s certainly true with this method.

Putting Theory Into Practice


I’ve plumbed up and found a flat area on the far shelf around 18 inches off the bank and this is where I’ll feed my micros. I’ve found the same depth around 2m to the left, again towards the far bank and this is where I’ll feed the 4mm pellets.

I’ve been very careful plumbing my third swim in the deeper water. It’s important to look for any variation in depth as the fish will often create areas of slightly deeper water where they regularly feed. It’s deeper because fish move the silt and therefore the bottom is harder. This is the perfect spot to feed the 6mm pellets.

Rigs with a Little Finesse


My rigs are a pretty standard affair but it’s winter, so even with bigger baits you still need a little finesse. With this in mind my mainline is 0.14mm Power Micron but to a more delicate 0.10mm hooklength on all rigs.

For fishing across I’m using a O.4g Matrix Carp Series 3 shotted with a strung bulk of No.9s. I also have three No.9s just above my float to help control the float in the wind.

I have two identical rigs set up for the far swim where the hook for fishing a small micro expander over micro pellets is a size 18 Silver Bagger. On my duplicate rig I have a size 18 Carp bander with a small bait band to fish a hard 4mm pellet.

For fishing the deeper swim I’m using the same hook and line combo that I use for the 4mm pellets. However, due to the size and weight of the 6mm pellet I’m using a 0.4g Carp Series 1 float with a thicker, more buoyant, tip. This is shotted with a bulk just above the hooklength to keep the rig stable.

Build Up the Feed


I like to build up all my swims slowly so I simply introduce the same amount at the start that I’ll be feeding throughout the day. I’ll put in just 3-4 6mm pellets on my deeper line by hand every 5-10 minutes depending how hard it’s fishing, and around 8-10 4mm pellets every 10 minutes on the far line.

How you feed is personal choice. You can use a catapult but I find it’s better to feed via a pole pot. I’m not into counting out micro pellets! On this swim I feed either a small pinch if it’s really hard and a bigger pinch when the fish are feeding normally – not an exact science but it works for me.

The Match-Minded Session


I always start on the micro pellet swim that’s given my full attention for the fi  rst half of the match. I’ve tried various 4mm expanders but I’ve now settled on the Micro expanders from Dynamite Baits. Although bigger than a micro pellet they’re smaller than a 4mm and I seem to get more bites on them.

It takes around 20 minutes to get an indication but I’m soon into my first fish, a small mirror, typical of what I’d expect on smaller baits. The cold weather and frost last night is making things difficult but, by lifting and dropping my rig, I am managing to keep a few bites coming. 

After a couple of hours I’m keen to try the 4mm pellet swim. Judging by the response on the micros I’m not expecting lots of fi sh but I’m interested to see their size. Laying in my 4mm pellet and dropping a few over the top, I almost feel nervous!

Luckily the float dips before slipping from sight and a sharp lift of the pole is met by resistance and several feet of elastic is ripped from the pole as an angry carp runs down the bank. Keeping the pole low I soon have the fish under control, a chunky 2lb mirror, the biggest fish of the day so far.

With the fishing being so hard today I’m going to go back on to my micro pellet line – I just don’t feel that I can push any swim too hard, especially one that will hopefully provide bonus fish. This works perfectly and three more times I drop on the 4mm pellet swim and each time I catch a quality fish.

winter fishing strategy

With four hours gone I decide to try thedeeper swim. A banded 6mm pellet is lowered in and then it’s a waiting game. Eight minutes pass and I’m just starting to think it’s not going to happen when the float darts under and I’m into a good fish and I wonder if the 0.10mm hooklength will hold.

Thankfully, the elastic works it magic cushioning every lunge and a stunning mirror is soon in the landing net.

I spend the next 40 minutes switching lines and manage a few more fish on both far lines before banking another nice mirror on a 6mm pellet before calling time on the session. It’s not been easy but, had it been a match, I feel like I would’ve been in with a shout judging by what others have caught.

On a venue like this with a good stock of small carp, it’s picking up those bigger fish that can make a difference. Micros pellets may still be the number one choice for winter but will micros make you a match winner? Not always, so be prepared to change!
      edit

0 comments:

Post a Comment